Tuesday 15 December 2009

Welcome for vehicle monitoring

A welcome has been given to a proposal that Carmarthenshire county council will do more to challenge the need for council vehicles. At its last meeting, the council agreed to a proposal that a more robust mechanism is needed to ensure that the council actually needs all its vehicles, and is making the best use of them.

Plaid’s leader on the council, Cllr Peter Hughes Griffiths, said, “Wherever I go in the county, I seem to see council vans and lorries all over the place. Many other people have told me the same thing. In fact, I understand that the council has a fleet of around 700 vehicles in total. Most of us know from personal experience how much it costs to run one car; running 700 must be an enormous cost to the council. Clearly, we need to have enough to carry out the council’s functions, but I have often wondered whether we really need as many as we seem to have. Doing more to monitor this is a positive step, and one which I very much welcome.”

No comments: