Thursday 16 October 2008

Call over allotments

I've had a number of approaches from people asking about the possibility of having an allotment in the area. With the rising price of food and increasing concern about food miles, more and more people seem to be developing an interest in growing their own food. I think that the county council should be willing to respond to the demand, but as a first step, I want to assess the level of demand.

Providing allotments is a simple way of helping people to grow their own healthy food, and reduce the county's carbon footprint. It also helps keep people active and healthy undertaking simple enjoyable physical exercise. But we do need to assess the level of demand properly.

I am co-ordinating this campaign on behalf of Plaid in the county - anyone who would be interested in having an allotment is urged to contact me on: 01554 741461 or via e-mail at smcaiach@sirgar.gov.uk.

Cllr Siân Caiach, Hengoed

No comments: